Houston Bicycle Accident Lawyers
From sports activities to exercise to work transportation, bicycling is a popular activity. There are many benefits to cycling, but there is also a high risk of injury without proper knowledge of the implementation of safety procedures. More recently, laws are being passed for cyclists’ safety and to promote awareness of their presence of streets, but they are still extremely susceptible to accidents and injuries. Since 1932, the first-year motor accidents began being recorded; there have been 53,000 deaths of cyclists on the road.
Be sure to always follow the biking rules in texas:
1. Bicycles should only be operated on streets, roadways, bike paths, routes and areas specifically designated for bicycle riding.
2. Bicycles and other non-motorized devices shall not be ridden into bicycle racks. Always dismount up arrival to the rack and place your bike in an available space.
3. All rules and procedures herein are applicable to all non-motorized devices.
4. In a shared-use area, the bicyclists shall pass cautiously, after giving audible notice of passing to the pedestrian or bicyclists they are passing.
5. A bicycle is a vehicle and a person operating a bicycle has the rights and duties applicable to a driver operating a vehicle. All laws and signs that regulate the movement of vehicles upon the roadway also apply to bicycles. Therefore, a bicyclist should obey all traffic laws, signs, and signals. This includes stopping at all stop signs and all stop (red) lights.
For more click here.
Negligent Drivers Causing Collisions
Legally, bicycles are considered a vehicle and should be treated with the same awareness as a motor vehicle. Increasing driver awareness for the sake of bicyclists has been a slow process since most drivers don’t relish the idea of sharing the road with them. Drivers of motor vehicles are trying to get to their destination as soon as possible and don’t want to be slowed down. This kind of reckless driving is the reason why an estimated 50% of car accidents that involve a bicyclist are the fault of the motor vehicle driver. Given the lack of protection, many cyclists sustain severe injuries and are even killed.
The attorneys at Attorney Jose S. Lopez are skilled and have extensive experience representing bicycle-motor vehicle accident victims. If you’re a cyclist who’s been in an accident due to the negligence of a motor vehicle driver, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical costs and pains and suffering. Your attorney will do an extensive investigation and review of the incident and evidence to create a personalized strategy that will get you the best possible settlement.
Injuries Encountered By Houston Cyclists
The lack of protection for cyclists, aside from helmets and other supportive gear, increases the risk of sustaining an injury and even death. The risk factor of the following injuries are amplified for cyclists:
- Fractured skull
- Brain damage
- Back and spinal injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
These types of injuries require immediate medical attention and, oftentimes, long-term medical care. The recovery time for injuries can be quite extensive putting the cyclist out of work for months or even years, depending on the severity of the injury and additional complications that might arise.
How We Can Help You
At Attorney Jose S. Lopez we will go over the entire incident with you and educate you on your options. If your case qualifies, you could be compensated for:
- Medical expenses, both immediate and future
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of wages due to inability to work
- Property damages for bicycle and gear
We can help you get justice for your injuries and expenses, even if it was a hit-and-run or an uninsured motorist accident. Call us today if you’ve sustained any injuries as a result of the negligent driving of another party. We’ll do an extensive review of your case and explain your options.
Contact Houston Bicycle Accident Lawyers
We focus on personal injury cases, and we return phone calls after hours. Free parking at our office, flexible hours and staff members who are fluent in Spanish make our legal team highly accessible to you. Call today for your free consultation at 713-529-0220 or contact us online. We are excited to review your case!
Quick Contact for consultation
Contact for a free case evaluation / consultation
COPYRIGHT ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2017 - DISCLAIMER